Sonic Unblocked was made in Japan by Aspect Co. Ltd for the Sega Master System and later ported to the Sega Game Gear in 1992. It was released in Japan on 21 November 1992 and in North America and Europe on 24 November 1992. It is the sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog and was directly followed by Sonic the Hedgehog 3 in 1994.
Unlike the first 8-bit Sonic game, which was developed by Ancient, Sonic 2 was developed by Aspect, which did not interact with the Sega Technical Institute team developing the Genesis version. Sonic 2 was released in November 1992 to critical acclaim. Critics considered it an improvement over the first 8-bit Sonic Unblocked and praised its visuals and gameplay. The game has been rereleased in numerous formats, including Sonic compilations and Nintendo’s Virtual Console service.
Gameplay of Sonic Unblocked
Sonic’s first major sequel doesn’t mess with the perfection the original achieved in terms of mechanics, so for a detailed examination of the fundamentals, skip over to the Sonic 1 page. The actual structure has changed a bit, not for the better by the reckoning of most fans, but the tweaks aren’t drastic enough to alter the experience in Sonic Unblocked. Sonic’s faster yet this time around, and the level design caters more to high speeds than platform-jumping obstacles.
Most significant of the new features is the introduction of Miles “Tails” Prower, Sonic’s little buddy with the mechanical knack. In a normal game, Tails follows Sonic around.
Sonic Unblocked Cheat codes
- Display Tails’ name as Miles: At the title screen press the following in order: Up, Up, Up, Down, Down, Down, Up. This can be done again to revert Miles’ name back to Tails. In the Japanese release Miles is the default name and entering the code will change his name to Tails.
- Act select: – At the Options Sound Test, play the following tunes in order: 19, 65, 09, and 17, which makes the Ring sound play, then press Start to return to the intro/title screen. Once there press Start while holding to enter the Act select. During any Act, by pausing the game, press A to return to the Act Select.
- 14 Continues: At the Options Sound Test, play the following tunes in order: 01, 01, 02 and 04, then the select Player Select to start the game with 14 continues. Oddly enough entering this code will cause all sound test options to be overwritten with the music for Oil Ocean Zone.
- Debug Mode: At the Act Select Sound Test, play the following tunes in order: 01, 09, 09, 02, 01, 01, 02, and 04, activating a Ring chime, and unlock Debug Mode. Then highlight any Act and press Start while holding in Sonic Unblocked .
- All 7 Chaos Emeralds: At the Act select Sound Test, play the following tunes in order: 04, 01, 02, and 06, which plays Chaos Emerald music, and get all seven Chaos Emeralds.
- Select / Insert Coin: shift
- Start: enter
- Move = Arrow keys ← → ↑ ↓
- Button 1 = z
- Button 2 = x
- Button 3 = a
- Button 4 = s
- Button 5 = q
- Button 6 = e
- can be configured in the game
- Hover and click the gamepad icon to view/change controls.
Note for 2 players:
It is recommended to remap the controls for both players and to make sure that there are no duplicate mappings.