Arkanoid is a classic breakout-style arcade game developed by Taito in 1986. Renowned for its timeless appeal and simplistic gameplay, Arkanoid transcends generational boundaries, appealing to both retro gaming enthusiasts and younger audiences.
Arkanoid, which was inspired by Atari’s “Breakout“, distinguishes itself with power-ups, unique level designs, and compelling narrative, establishing it as a staple in the golden age of arcade gaming. For a more complete gaming experience, explore other nostalgic games like Donkey Kong.
Gameplay of Arkanoid
In Arkanoid, the player takes control of the “Vaus,” a space vessel, manoeuvring it horizontally across the screen to bounce an energy ball. This energy ball, when collided with coloured blocks at the top of the screen, causes these blocks to disappear. The player aims to clear the screen of all blocks while ensuring the energy ball does not pass their vessel and hit the bottom of the screen.
Power-ups, or “capsules,” drop from destroyed blocks, giving players temporary advantages, such as the ability to fire lasers or the expansion of the Vaus to cover more ground. The game’s distinct levels, each with its own unique block arrangement, introduce the player to different challenges and opportunities to exploit.
Various antagonistic elements such as enemy spaceships and unbreakable silver blocks add an extra layer of complexity to Arkanoid. If you’re a fan of such strategic challenges, the gameplay experience in Tetris Plus or Buster Bros will certainly resonate with you.
Tips and Tricks
- Power-Up Utilization: Make the best use of the power-ups that drop from blocks. Some, like the laser, allow you to clear blocks more easily.
- Catch the Energy Ball: If you catch the energy ball on the edge of the Vaus, you can direct it more precisely.
- Predict the Ball’s Path: Mastering the game requires predicting the ball’s path after it hits the blocks or the sides of the screen.
- Endurance is Key: Don’t rush to clear all blocks. Maintain your control over the ball, and remember, the game gets faster as you progress.
- Super Smash Flash: An exciting game that brings together characters from various franchises in dynamic arenas. This title takes the multi-directional movement concept to a new level, introducing a completely different gaming experience.
- Tetris Plus: Tetris Plus is a game of quick reflexes and strategic planning. Here, the objective is to manage falling blocks optimally, adding a unique twist to a classic game, while preventing the stack from reaching the screen’s top.
- R-Type Leo: R-Type Leo immerses you in a journey of intergalactic conquest. The game focuses on swift reactions and precise movements, allowing you to navigate your spaceship, blast through enemies, and dodge incoming attacks in this thrilling arcade experience.
- Buster Bros: Buster Bros provides a unique gaming experience where players pop bouncing balloons that split into smaller ones. This game calls for strategic planning and agile reflexes to keep the screen clear.
- In The Hunt: In The Hunt puts you in command of a submarine navigating perilous waters. Its emphasis on maneuvering and projectile management makes for a gameplay experience filled with action and strategy.